Wednesday 6 July 2011

Red Fruits Before the Rain

A River of Stones

All the shades of red, in bright berries bursting with the scent of ripe juices.

Rain threatened this morning. A wild south-westerly gusted relentlessly across the fields. I picked the ripest garden berries, before rainfall could ruin them and mould could follow.

By this evening, four jars of jam were cooled and setting in the kitchen. A mixture of raspberries, redcurrants, tayberries, blackberries and strawberries, caught in a sharp-tanged sweetness and full of the taste of summer.



I made the jam using a quick and easy method, from a recipe passed on by my friend on http://codlinsandcream2.blogspot.com. Thank you Bovey Belle!

Mine is a variation of her Microwave Raspberry Jam. I use it for all sorts of mixtures, including blackberry and elderberry combinations later in the summer.

Microwave Summer Fruit Jam

1lb of mixed summer fruit
1lb granulated or preserving sugar

Method

Rinse fruit and tip into a 3 litre microwaveable mixing bowl.
Crush/ mash the fruit using a potato masher.
Add the sugar to the fruit.

Stir well, cover and leave for one hour.

Uncover, stir and then cook on High setting in Microwave for 5 minutes.

Stir with wooden spoon and then cook on Medium setting for approx. 25 minutes, until
setting point reached. Stir three times during cooking.

I use a cold plate in the fridge to test jam drops for surface wrinkling, but a jam thermometer can be used.

Allow to cool slightly before carefully potting up into clean, pre-warmed jars. Add sterilised lids but do not screw these up tightly until jam is completely cooled.

Label and date jars before storing.

Today I used twice the quantity of fruit and sugar, which took longer to reach boiling point, so I used the High microwave setting throughout.

11 comments:

Karen said...

When I came home Saturday from the mountains, I passed by a father and son picking berries from a tall bush alongside the road (I don't know what type, but my guess for the area was probably blackberries). They weren't sticking them in a bag to take home, but just eating them as they stood there.

I was sorely tempted to stop and join them (my cooking skills are sorely lacking).

ChrisJ said...

What a great photo of the berries. They look luscious and you could almost pick them off the page.

Maggie Christie said...

How delicious all that lovely fruit looks too! Summer in a jar - wonderful.

Yarrow said...

Oooh, yum :D

Edward said...

Nice photos the jam looks very yummy, and so healthy too, I do love a bit of toast with a nice helping of jam, great post.
Regards
Edward

Pam said...

That's lovely - saving up some summer in jars.

Goosey said...

That looks very tasty, I am going to try this recipe very soon...Thank you!

Crafty Green Poet said...

delicious!

we're having the most amazing rainstorm just now!

Angie said...

Summer berries ...and freashly picked too ...how wonderful ...such a perfect mix. Must have a try of the micro jam ...sounds easier than getting the pan out ...especially for smaller amounts.

persiflage said...

I make jam but never in the microwave. Does the standing of the fruit and sugar ensure the dissolving of the sugar before boiling?
How lovely to have all those berries. I used to go blackberrying, but since I moved to another city, there are no berries handy. Blackberries are a noxious weed here, and notoriously difficult to extirpate. I always had to try and ensure that the blackberries had not been sprayed, and watch out for snakes.These days I make cumquat marmalade and quince jelly.

WOL said...

I like how you've done the tops with the fabric. Good ol' "Bonne Mamam" jars.