Monday 3 February 2014

Sleeping While the Sun Shines





Two mornings ago, after a night of squally showers, we had another short respite. An hour or two of blue skies before the next storm clouds rolled in from the west.

Up on the Forest heath, a family group of ponies dozed in the unexpected sunshine, their wet coats drying as eyelids and bottom lips drooped in relaxation.

When a herd or group of ponies sleep, one or two will stay awake, on watch for danger.














The wet bark of winter trees shone  against a blue sky.












Every track and pathway squelched underfoot from hours of rain.





There is little grass for the Forest ponies now, so they were foraging for gorse......








.....and tender young shoots of holly.








An oak has been felled by January storms. Thankfully it fell away from the Forest track.




Another group of young mares were rooting for food through leaves and undergrowth.
This friendly pony came over for a kind word and then returned to her companions under the trees.





Along the lane, every wet holly leaf shone like a mirror in the morning sunshine.
Within hours, the sky had turned grey. Rain, wind and hailstorms blew across the Forest once again.



15 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

Lovely photos as always. Good to see the ponies enjoying a little bit of sunshine before the next belt of rain. I loved the friendly chestnut. It's amazing what prickly things they will manage to eat when there's little else on offer.

crafty cat corner said...

I love the horses but really love the little mouse in the last post, how sweet. Glad you didn't kill it as most people would have.
Briony
x

Louise said...

Great photos - what a beautiful day for a walk.

Pam said...

Gorse and holly. Those don't sound very nice to eat. Poor ponies. (I suppose they wouldn't thank you for a nice bar of chocolate...)

Yarrow said...

Oh those Forest ponies are so adorable. I wish I could give them a big pile of hay, but then they'd be as fat as my Toffee!
I loved your comment on my blog about when you were a pirate, writing pirate letters ;)

Ragged Robin said...

Lovely photos - I really enjoy sharing your New Forest Walks :) The ponies are just adorable :)

angryparsnip said...

awwwww what a lovely post. Sleeping ponies must be so cute. I hope they are getting enough to eat.
Love the pony who came over for a chat.

cheers, parsnip

Em Parkinson said...

I love that chestnut with the big blaze but then I am a sucker for a chestnut. It always amazes me the way they manage to eat the gorse. Those new shoots are still REALLY prickly!

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely photos of the ponies, i didn't realise they would eat gorse

Down by the sea said...

Beautiful pictures, I'm glad the ponies are finding food despite all this wet weather. Sarah x

The Weaver of Grass said...

These are exquisite photographs - a taste of the New Forest lifts the heart on these Wintry days.

Pam said...

Thanks for your suggestion about "The Children's Book". I have read it and was a bit disappointed. I thought she was too keen to include every single famous person (and explain about them as if no one but her had ever heard of them) at the expense of her own characters. It was interesting but eventually I got a bit bored.

However, I did admire her scope.

It's like at our book group - we never agree! But thank you anyway.

WOL said...

I'll bet the chance to doze in the dry sunshine was a godsend to the ponies. Their eating gorse reminds me of Eyore, who preferred his unbounced upon by Tiggers.

SeagullSuzie said...

I love to see the ponies, they are so perfect in those surroundings.

Morning's Minion said...

When we had a group of horses in Wyoming I noticed they never all relaxed and dozed at once. With Pebbles now on her own, I'm not sure when she sleeps--perhaps when she stands in the barn door with her head a bit down.