Saturday 29 January 2011

Woodpecker from my Window


Now I know why there are bits of bark missing on this Rain Forest Pansy tree....... A pair of Greater Spotted Woodpeckers feed on the peanut bird feeders and they nest somewhere in the woods nearby. This week I saw one of them pecking away at the bark of this young tree , which has beautiful, deep maroon- red, heart shaped leaves in the summer. I shall have to find a tree trunk guard when I next go into town, and I must keep the peanut feeder filled up!

5 comments:

Rowan said...

Oh dear! I love seeing the Greater Spotted Woodpeckers in the garden but it would be a pity if they damaged a beautiful and what sounds like a rather rare tree.

WOL said...

You might also want to inspect the tree trunk closely -- Woodpeckers pecking on it implies there's something in the bark worth pecking for -- ! You may have a pest in your Pansy.

crafty cat corner said...

aren't they so beautiful, sadly we don't get to see them often where we are.

Karen said...

I have a Forest Pansy Redbud (maybe the same tree?) in my small garden. As the only tree, I hang all the bird feeders on it which attracts downy and red-bellied woodpeckers. But I have never seen them go after the tree in any way, but it could be because they have plenty of food to choose from particularly suet cakes.

Kath said...

Oh how lovely. I have seen only one since we came here, but I'm hoping when the weather turns warmer, he or she will be back.