Wednesday 9 December 2009

Flowers out of season

This month , our strange and unpredictable maritime climate has brought floods and frost. Winter should be here, yet warmer days fool nature into skipping a season and giving us signs of spring. Today I found a periwinkle (Vinca major) still in flower in a shrub border.


A falling leaf from the Liquid Amber tree , rests on a pink camelia flower.

Camelias breaking bud on an unseasonably warm December day.


This is a summer poem, but one that speaks of peace in a tranquil garden.

Supper by Walter de la Mare
I supped where bloomed the red red rose,
And a bird in the tree
Looked on my sweet white bread and whistled
Tunes to me.
And a wasp prowled in the evening light,
My honey all about;
And the martin to her sunbaked nest
Swept in and out.
I sat so still in the garden
That wasp and leaf and bird
Seemed as I dreamed the only things
That had ever stirred.



1 comment:

Morning's Minion said...

How I used to love the last flowers--a tiny rosebud that escaped the frost, pansies. They smelled cold and sweet.